So.... it's been a LONG time since I last blogged... but here I am... because my father asked me to write my mother a poem for mother's day. So that's what I did. And I decided I'd share it all with you. So if you feel inclined to read it, here it is:
A man posed me the challenge of describing mothers in a word.
I told him he was crazy. I told him that was absurd.
To take a thing that meant so much and make it seem so small.
To do so would be the biggest and most grievous crime of all.
But all this got me thinking what my mother meant to me.
I sat and pondered how the man I was had come to be.
I thought back on my childhood, the blessed memories.
I thought of days gone by when daily, mother, I would see.
When I was young my mother used to feed me when I cried.
She'd hold me when I needed warmth and comfort through the night.
She patched me up when I fell down and scraped my dirty knees.
She'd say I had to do my work before I watched tv.
I got a little older and it was then I learned,
That even though my mom was fun, she also could be stearn.
She had all kinds of rules to tell me how to live my life.
She'd scold me when I'd break them. She caused me so much strife.
As time went on I realized, all along she had been right.
She was far from perfect, but she'd raised me to the light.
She always loved me even when I caused her pain and tears.
She helped to carry me through the days and weeks and months and years.
And here I sit, remembering the times we've had together
And I see I owe everything I am today to her.
So when I met this man again, I had an answer to bring.
He asked me "What is a mother?" I told him "EVERYTHING".
No comments:
Post a Comment